Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring is almost here!!!!

We're still getting some cold weather here and there, but for the most part it is really starting to get nice! We had a couple of days last week with temps in the 80's! These last couple of days have been cold-ish again, but it is supposed to warm up gradually again over the next few days back into the 70's next week. Perfect!

We will probably plant seeds over the weekend. I am really looking forward to having a bigger garden! Last year I didn't make it as big as I wanted, but we did get 30 okra plants growing. Close to 30, anyway. And it still wasn't enough for us! We all (the kids and me) love raw okra, freshly picked, still warm from the sun. YUM! So we'd go to pick it and very little made it inside. We often didn't have enough to satisfy us, and since we only picked it 2 or 3 times a week, it just wasn't enough.

Two years ago I was very pregnant and not physically able to do as much, then Jack was born early, in June. The circumstances and the stress were just too much, so the garden grew very weedy and much of it went to waste. We were still able to get the occasional strawberry, okra, beet and sunflowers (they did well, actually!), but mostly it was just all weedy.

So this year, circumstances will hopefully allow us to tend to our garden regularly, and I am not pregnant, so I should be able to do the physical work. I am really looking forward to it!

In the front where it is more shady we will plant some of the cool weather veggies like onions, potatoes, beets, radishes and various kinds of greens. In the back where it is always very sunny we will do some okra, tomatoes and I'm not sure what else.

Here are some pictures of the whole family (except me since I was the photographer...hehe) working on getting the ground ready to plant. The kids loved it. They found all kinds of bugs, earthworms, grubs and spiders. Also some pictures of Jacob and Jack playing in the back yard in an area where they pretty much keep it all dirt. :) Jacob especially spends most of his time here when he plays outside.













7 comments:

  1. LOL, there is just something about a little man in a diaper, playing in the dirt....it just melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so funny, but I know what you mean! It's just too cute! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to tell me how to grow okra. I love raw okra but have never tied to grow it

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's actually pretty easy to grow. It's a hot weather plant, so you just have to wait until mid-May before you put it in the ground. Then it is very little maintenance! Just don't water too much and don't water with cold water. Pick it every couple of days. That's really all there is to it, nothing special. Very easy to grow, so it is very rewarding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always do okra every yr also.Last yr was a bad yr for us.My dad's death was still fresh on our minds and I also had a miscarriage so I wasn't able to keep up w/my seeds very well.

    This yr we are moving and hopefully staying in the country.But we have to do container gardening.So I have already have been germinating seeds and things are looking ok.I just need to buy larger containers to put them in.All of my lg containers have toys,Christmas tree, or my worm farm in them!

    Hope ya'lls garden turns out great this yr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fun! on a side not - HOLY COW - I just noticed your little globe, you've got major readers/lookers woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sasha, I know! Isn't it wild? LOL! I figured out that the reason I get such a kick out of strangers reading/subscribing to my blog is because I can find people in cyberspace who actually think I'm interesting! ROFL

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.