Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lifeschooling moment

Jayla LOVES to count. She counts all the time. I just heard her a few minutes ago counting again, then she came in and told me that 100 is an equal number. I had her explain to me what she meant, just to be sure, and she said that 2 goes into it. So we discussed odds and evens. She picked it up so quickly.....because she was interested and ready for it!

She also loves any kind of math. She even tells people all the time "I LOVE math!" :) She loves to add, subtract, and even does some multiplication and division. And she is 6 years old and has never been formally taught this. Myles bought her some addition flash cards. They were going through them in the van a couple of weeks ago and she got every single one right from doing them in her head! I'm so proud of her! :) I'm also glad that she really loves it. All kinds of math is used every day throughout life, so she'll do fine!

Now if she'll just focus on her reading! LOL! She's getting there, but it's just not clicking for her. She loves to practice though. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow -- that's encouraging, isn't it! It must be so fun to see something click like that. Gives me hopes for our own unschooling. I'm sure the reading will happen just as naturally, when she's ready for it -- sounds like she's too busy concentrating on math right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great! Annicka still has reading struggles - she can read well, but sometimes guesses at the word or won't sound it out! The schools here are tough, I guess, so she's having some struggles ... I really miss homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think she is concentrating more on math! LOL! Plus she doesn't have a NEED to read right now. Someone just reads for her if she asks! :)

    Sash, in her own time. Just try not to push her too hard. It will click for her soon enough! You're doing great with what you can do right now, so don't beat yourself up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.