Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's hard to keep your composure when your kid's not breathing!!!

Jack had ANOTHER seizure yesterday. He is fine right now, but yesterday around 5:30 Myles was playing with him and saw him go from happy and giggly to "dead", as Myles put it! He had a brief seizure and just went limp and stopped breathing! I was walking in the house and met him in the hallway with the little rag doll. I tried to stimulate him however I could and told Myles to call 911. (He was trying to get everyone in the van to leave.) So as he was calling 911, I ran outside with Jack and kept trying to get him to breathe. It was weird because he was just extremely limp and was looking around, but I could tell he was trying to breathe but couldn't! I just sat down on the porch and then he had another seizure. I just held him on his side, and as soon as it was over, he started breathing again but wouldn't open his eyes. It took everything out of him. :(

The fire department arrived (they are at the end of our street) and did his vitals and looked him over while I held him. There wasn't really much they had to do at that point because he was breathing and it was all over. The EMTs arrived and put him in the ambulance. They checked him over really well and even got him to moving and crying. I have never heard a more beautiful sound! We were all just laughing and telling him to cry more!

Myles went with him to Children's. My friend Chrysinda came over later and stayed with the other 3 while I went up there. We got home around 11:30 last night and pretty much went straight to bed.

So the verdict....Well, we don't really know anything new. They did a CT scan and it came back normal. He is going to see his regular doctor today or tomorrow and get an EEG and an MRI. If those come back abnormal or if he has another seizure, he will be referred to the neurologist and probably diagnosed with epilepsy and put on pills. Otherwise, if they come back normal, we'll just have to watch him and hope and pray he doesn't have another one!

His first two, last July and again on Thanksgiving morning, were both fever induced. This one was not! Plus he stopped breathing, so that is what really freaked us out! The kids were scared too, but we all prayed together, even during his 2nd seizure on the front porch, and they really had a peace after that. I just reminded them to pray any time they felt worried. They stayed up until we got home and were all very happy to see their little brother. :)

Jack is seemingly back to normal right now, so just please pray this won't happen again and that the tests all come back normal. Thanks so much!

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you all night last night. I'm glad you are home and all is well for now! We'll keep praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that when my Hubby was young that he had seizures and was on medications for several years, but when Kiddo started having seizures, I learned that Hubby's mom and all three of her sisters had seizures at some point in childhood. The very first seizure I ever saw was Kiddo's at about 14 months old. He was on Lamictal for about 1.5 years and did really well. Praise the Lord, he has had no new seizures (since his second -just 6 weeks after the first) and we are so relieved. I'll be praying for Jack, and you all, but I TOTALLY know how you feel...and it is so easy to get paranoid about more seizures - just continue to give it to God. A lot of times, I had to do it several times a day...but He is SO GOOD and He'll be right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you are having to go through this.My best friends daughter Amy S. (you might remember her from UCOM or from HOM) anyways her daughter is three and has had unexplainable seizures for a while now.They have been through all the experts and they can't ever diagnose her w/anything.So Amy had her doing a special diet to keep the seizures down.She still has them and it's really scary.She is dealing w/it though.They no longer go out to eat b/c of her and her maybe eating something she is not suppose to eat in fear that it might give her a seizure.

    I will pray for you guys and that someone can help you guys out in figuring out what's going on.

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your little blip on facebook. I can only imagine how scary that was. I am glad that he is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your message on the forum. I'd checked yesterday but you didn't have the update posted yet. That was a scary time. I do hope and pray you don't have a repeat.

    Your Raw Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine! I'm just getting caught up with your blog, but knew and I said a prayer for little Jack!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.