Saturday, April 18, 2009

Obey His Commands

We were outside today, in the back yard, working on the garden (this one has not been planted yet). We were minding our own business and all having a great time and really enjoying the lovely weather when one of our neighbors hung over our fence trying to get our dog to "shut up". Then he noticed we were out there and started telling me to get my dog quiet because he barks all the time. (All the while Rocket is barking at this "stranger" because he won't leave. Ha!)

I will spare all the other details because that is not why I am blogging about him. :)

I tried really hard not to be rude to him, even though he was rude to me. I really did. But as the day went on I started thinking about "loving our neighbors" and whether or not I did that even though we had a disagreement.

I concluded that even though I wasn't rude to him, I was argumentative and defensive, and that is not loving. He attacked me and I naturally wanted to attack back. I did control myself, but I was far from "loving" to him.

Great Christian witness, huh? :(

Matthew 5:43-44 "You have heard that our fathers were told, `Love your neighbors -- and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! (CJB)

Galatians 5:14 For the whole of the Torah (Law) is summed up in this one sentence: "Love your neighbor as yourself" (CJB)

I'll stop there, but there are other passages about loving our neighbors and enemies. This one also hit home.

1 John 2:3-The way we can be sure we know him is if we are obeying his commands. 4-Anyone who says, "I know him," but isn't obeying his commands is a liar - the truth is not in him. (CJB)

ouch

So if we know Him, we should keep His commands. And what are His commands?

Mark 12:29-Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30-And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31-The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Easier said than done when life throws you unexpected curve balls, like the neighbor unexpectedly complaining about the dog we've had for 5 years now....this is the first he has ever said anything to us in the 10 years we have been here, always with barking dogs. So I just wasn't prepared.

But I will be prepared for next time I see him. I will give him my phone number and ask him to just call me in the future if Rocket is barking loudly and ask him if there is anything else we can do (short of training him not to bark....he's our alarm system!) to make him happier. Hopefully we can patch things up with him and show him Christ's love instead of my pride!

6 comments:

  1. Rich Mullins once talked about leaving theological debates alone until he could handle the simple stuff like loving his neighbor and turning the other cheek. Then maybe he'd learn to tie the "more complicated knot."

    :-)

    I guess we've got enough to keep us busy with the Sermon on the Mount to last a lifetime!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there! We have had neighbor issues also. Sometimes it is really hard loving your neighbor when you;re being attacked.AT least in my head all I can think is my neighbor won't seem to stop barking at me!

    My outside dog is also our alarm.As a matter of fact she was barking last night and I stuck my head out the door.I looked down and there was giant sized wet paw prints going across my back porch headed towards my rabbits. Thankfully they were ok and I guess I stuck my head out at the right time b/c all I could see in the field was a pair of glowing eyes looking at me then then it turned and ran away.

    I'll admit that there has been a few times where the dog starts barking at the horse when she goes into the barn(the dog is next to the barn and has access to it.).But there is usually a reason for her barking.She has protected the outside animals w/her bark many times.Thankfully none of them have been strangers at night.

    So I can see why you need her to be your alarm.Maybe you should see if your neighbor can come over and get to know the dog better like giving her treats so the next time he sees her then she'll remember HMM he's the one that was nice and gave me the treats.Well it's a suggestion anyways.Not that that would really happen but it's a possibility.

    Ok that comment didn't have much of a positive reflect on the bible verses or being a good neighbor.Sorry I felt the defense and felt for the need of defense too I guess!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's things we always need to work on know matter how well we know them in our minds! It never ends. We will always keep growing and learning and seeing new things in ourselves that are not "perfect". Ah, growing pains. SIGH

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Isn't that funny how you want to get defensive when you've been there and understand! Thanks for the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post - sunday's message at church was so awesome, it was about respect! In the world we live in today, too many of us feel like things that aren't ok ARE ok, but just like you've shown with the verses - we still need to love our neighbor! I loved when the preacher said "you must be truthful AND tactful" - in other words, you don't "just say it as it is" - you say it with love! thanks for sharing, nice reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, Great post! God certainly teaches us how to love others by putting some "difficult to love" people in our lives! How wonderful that you have such a willing heart to obey Him!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.