Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jacobism

Okay, I have to give some background details on this one.

Last Sunday we were eating lunch with our church family as we do every week. There is not always vegetarian food available, especially if I do not bring anything or if I only bring chips or something like that (I usually try to bring a meat alternative though).

This past week the theme was Mexican food, and there was meat in everything except the guacamole (which is what we brought) and the rice. Jonathan tried to pick out the meat in his food, but he ended up not eating it because there was too much in it and it was nearly impossible to pick out. Jayla just stuck with some plain avocados and chocolate cake. My kind of girl. :)

Jacob had not chosen for himself to be vegetarian up till now, so Myles put some meat on his plate. He is very picky, so we thought that might be the only thing he would eat.

He didn't like the way it looked or something. Maybe he thought it was spicy. Myles tried to convince him to eat it and he just sat there calm as could be and said, "I don't eat meat. I'm a veeg-uh-teerian."

A couple of days later he was telling me for the 100th time that day that he was hungry (I can never fill him up). I mentioned hotdogs (one of Jacob's favorite things) just to see what he would do. He got very excited and said he wanted one. I asked him if he realized that it was meat, and he just smiled and pinched my lips together so I couldn't talk. I guess he didn't want to hear that!

I should make it clear that at this point no one is making him eat or not eat meat, we're just helping him understand what meat is and what a vegetarian is.

Wednesday evening on the way home from church, we were discussing what we were going to eat for dinner. Jacob said he wanted a hotdog. I asked him again if he remembered that it was meat and if he was a vegetarian, to which he replied,

"I'm a flexitarian."

5 comments:

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.