Monday, December 22, 2008

Split Pea Soup

Edited to add: Jack woke up with an upset tummy. :( Next time I will keep the soup simple for everyone else and only use half the other ingredients for my own portion (and leftovers). I don't think that would make the recipe any more difficult, and everyone would like it a little more with it being more bland. 

From vegweb.com

brynns split pea soup

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 MED ONION
3-4 STALKS CELERY
4-5 CARROTS
1 CLOVE GARLIC
2 LEAVES FRESH basil (1 teaspoon dried is fine)
4-6 WHITE ROSE POTATOES
3 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
2-4 CUPS DRIED SPLIT PEAS
SALT TO TASTE
VEGETARIAN VEGETABLE BROTH

Directions:

Finely chop onion, celery, and garlic. In LARGE pot, add olive oil and saute onion over med heat for about 5 min. then add celery and garlic. Continue to saute for another 10-15 minutes or so, while you peel and chop your carrots into bite-size pieces. Add carrots to the onion and celery, along with enough water to cover all ingredients. Add basil and veggie broth ( I use Knorr brand veggie broth, it comes in double size cubes of which I use about three to five depending on how much soup I am making. Cover and simmer on med-low heat while you peel and cube your potatoes into bite size pieces. Add potatoes to veggies and cover with water, plus enough to bring the water level about 4 inches above the vegetables. Cover and simmer until all the veggies are soft. Next, using a strainer and ladel, scoop the stock from the vegetable mixture through a strainer into a med-large pan and put your peas into it. Cover and cook until the peas are VERY soft. You then need to blend the split-pea mixture,using a blender-I prefer a hand blender so I can blend it right in the same pan. Blend until very smooth and add to the vegetables. Now just season to taste... ENJOY!!!!

Serves: many

Preparation time: 1hr+

***

I followed this recipe almost exactly (I rarely measure anything), and it was DEEEEEEE-LISH! Well, I think so, anyway. The only big thing I did differently was I blended all the veggies, not just the peas, and it came out with a mashed potato texture. Myles actually likes it! Jonathan and Jayla tried it and didn't care for it, but they didn't seem to totally hate it either. They already knew what was in it, so I think they expected not to like it.

Jacob wouldn't touch it, but Jack totally loves it! Yea! :) I'm glad I'm doing this now before he realizes what he is eating and that he is not supposed to like stuff like that! LOL!

Btw, the one down side to this recipe is that if you are hand-cutting all the veggies along with the cook time, it does take a while to make. I may try it in the crock pot sometime.....just chop it all up and cook it for a while all together. I did actually ENJOY cooking this though, and I'll have leftovers for several lunches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.