Sunday, December 21, 2008

Potato Goulash

Original recipe from Vegweb.com

Potato Goulash

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

4 large baking potatoes (peeled and cubed ~1 cm or smaller)
1 medium white onion (chopped)
1 medium green pepper (chopped)
Spices to taste (Black pepper, Chili powder, Cayenne Pepper)
1 can (11 oz.) Golden sweet corn (preferably unsalted)
1 can (15 oz.) Joan of Arc Spicy Chili Beans
2 (heaping)tbsp Vegetable Shortening or equivalent oil

Directions:

1. Mix chopped potatoes, onion, and green pepper in a bowl and add the listed spices to taste (I like mine really spicy, so I'll leave the amounts up to you.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil or shortening (I have found that shortening allows the potatoes to get soft and not crispy) over medium heat in the largest skillet you have, preferably 10 inches in diameter.

3. Add veggies and cook until the potatoes starch (become soft).

4. Add corn (drained) and cook for about five minutes then add beans (not drained, they come in a spicy sauce).

5. Cook over medium heat about five minutes more, then serve.

6. This dish is really good with blue corn chips and some sliced fruit (nectarines) on the side.

Serves: 4 to 6.

Preparation time: One Hour.

***

Now for OUR version!

Tonight I just used regular canned beans because it is what I had on hand, but it is definitely better with chili beans! And the kids don't usually like spicy foods, but this isn't too spicy that they can't handle it. They like the taste enough to overlook the spiciness. :)

So normally I just fry up some potatoes, usually cut in small cubes or fry-cut. Then I add some other veggies that everyone likes. This tends to be one of those last-minute "What am I going to make for dinner?" recipes. Personally I LOVE the original recipe, but I'm the only one who does!

So tonight I opened some cans that I've had for a while and the finished dish was potatoes, beans, green beans and corn. I also added some garlic and chili powder. I admit I added too much garlic, but I liked it! Everyone else thought it was okay but would be better without so much garlic! LOL! Jack actually loved it!

I have made this several times now and it is slightly different each time, but most of the time everyone loves it. So it will continue to be a regular on our menu. Only I will try to plan ahead and not use all canned foods!

Oh, and I have made this with sweet potatoes before too! I really liked it, but the family had mixed feelings about it. I think they liked it but just prefered white potatoes. This is really good with rice or bread too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.