Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Finger weaving with nylon loops!

The kids and I have been finger weaving a lot lately. They don't know it yet, but I had actually bought one of these looms (metal with a metal hook and nylon loops) for them for Christmas. Well, someone recently gave us a LOT more of them, and not all nylon, so we've been using them up. I made them each a jump rope, and they LOVE them, especially Jayla. The older two could have made the ropes themselves, but they are not fast at it yet and it takes a long time when you are just beginning. You can make all kinds of things like this, such as headbands, bracelets, etc. Jonathan likes to make "snakes"!

Just by the colors you can probably guess which is Jayla's. :) The rainbow one is Jonathan's and the darker colors with the white is Jacob's.

I was showing a friend how to do this today at homeschool PE. Jayla had brought one of the jump ropes along, so my friend was curious how it worked. So, since I had simply tied off the end, I untied it and showed her how. Then I told her that there surely had to be a Youtube video of it or something. Well, I didn't find a video on it, but this is a great instructional page with pictures of exactly what I was showing her!
http://www.makingfriends.com/jump_rope.htm


On this page it says that the age recommendation is 8 and up, but my 6-year-old caught on a lot quicker than her 8-year-old brother, but it didn't take him long to learn it either. I bet my 4-year-old could do it too with a little extra help! Give it a try! It's fun! :)

1 comment:

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.