Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Just curious.....

I am all for being more "green" and living a healthier lifestyle. I just don't understand why there aren't more Christians out there wanting to do this? It seems to mostly be very new-age type people who are eco-conscious. I just don't understand....I would think Christians would be more aware of being good stewards of the world and our bodies that God gave us!

Personally, for about 7 years now I have been wanting to be 100% raw vegan, and I have on several single days during the last few years, and once even for 5 weeks straight (and lost 38 pounds and had TONS of energy). To most in our culture this seems very extreme, but really it is the most natural diet/lifestyle for humans. Hungry? Grab an apple off a tree and eat, or pick some berries or edible flowers or leaves while on a hike. Obviously I don't do this myself, mostly because it is not very easy to do in our culture. We don't go on hikes regularly (though I would love to more often!) and it is just easier and more "acceptable" and much more convenient (unless you hike regularly!) to buy our food at the grocery store or maybe have our own garden, but that is usually a supplement instead of a sole source of food.

Now, I certainly don't expect everyone, or even very many people, want to be raw vegan. I admire anyone who genuinely tries to make healthier choices for their families, no matter how small, because I know how hard it is! But I was just browsing around some raw vegan web sites and blogs, and most of the "raw food gurus" are totally into meditation and "enlightenment" and things like that. It's all such a new-age mindset. But because God is our Creator and everything in nature points to Him, I don't understand why I am not seeing more raw vegan sites that are owned by Christians. Hmmmm.

Here is one man though who has already made a mark in the raw food community and is highly respected by many other raw food "gurus", and he is a Messianic Jew! (Click on the "links" button on his sidebar to see some other great sites!) My BFF and I went to a raw food seminar in a nearby town nearly two years ago where he gave his lecture and sold his tapes, books, etc. We enjoyed it immensely. The food was great, and he used quite a bit of Scripture regarding food! Aw, I just found out via his blog that he and his wife are expecting their first baby in mid-January! And I believe she is having a raw pregnancy! Awesome!

Okay, enough ramblings for tonight...I mean, this morning. Hey, it's Christmas Eve! :) I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas, and remember to celebrate Christ year-round, not just during the Christmas season. :)

7 comments:

  1. we are creatures of habit, just like you can't be a raw vegan all the time. If someone was even 50% of the time, doubtful they would post about itas it would sound more like failure
    I do a lot of black and raspberry eating for lunches and dinners lately (especially when Rob is gone, because it doesn't work when he's there, he doesn't understand that) but I wouldn't post about it because it's just what I like to eat and am not going for the raw vegan....I like meat, I would be murdered for no meat by Rob, and it is entirely way too expensive to have a family of 8 ..sorry 7 on raw, especially as much as these kids eat. They went through 6 bags of apples in 1 afternoon......and that was taking it "easy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that, and that's great! What I don't get is why can't I find more raw vegan web sites that are owned by Christians? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cost is what prohibits us. Possibly it is what prohibits lots of people. I do have one friend that practices a lot of this. Sugar-free, organic, etc. They do eat meat.

    I have made changes in less processed foods, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right! Cost is a big factor for us too, which is why I am trying to make a larger garden each year. I am still not getting nearly enough from it though, but it does help.

    But non-Christions are in the same boat: some are wealthy, some are dirt poor and many in-between.

    I know many families grind their own wheat to make flour, cut out sugar, etc. I truly admire any positive changes. I think it is wonderful!

    But again, what I don't understand is, why aren't there more Christian individuals who own web sites for raw vegan? I know there are many sites and blogs for other healthier lifestyles, but when you search for *raw vegan* sites, it is hard to find Christian ones out there.

    This is really mostly a rhetorical question since I don't expect anyone to really have an answer. :) I've just been thinking about this and was wondering what others' opinions were. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really agree, but more in the going green area! Now, I am in no way saying I'm where I should be/want to be - but I'm making at least a small effort! I guess it's a conviction thing, I only this past year was really convicted ... before that I honestly didn't care much about recycling, for instance! It's hard for me to understand how someone who is so over the top for God - for lack of a better description - flat out tell me it's no big deal ... I get frustrated, it's like - yes it is, my children are going to pay for our mistakes ... how are they going to renew the earth? Ugh, I can get really crazy over this - but I have to remind myself that I too was there just a year ago! I see what you're saying though, one would think there would be more Christian based sites on healthier eating in general!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! It is very frustrating! I don't always follow through with all I want to do either (I don't know many who actually do!), but at least I have convictions and do the best I can.....most of the time. :) I would just really like to see more Christians leading the way in stuff like this! Even though we are just a vapor, here today and tomorrow gone in the wind, we still need to take care of ourselves and the world! I just don't get why.....I just don't get it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this website: Hallelujah Acres.

    It's not a 'green' site, but it is a healthy lifestyle/healthy eating Christian based site. They have a really good newsletter that you can sign up for too.

    Hope you find it useful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.