Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's COLD here!

Yesterday the wind chill got below ZERO degrees! Brrrr!

Well, I've been doing much better about keeping up with blogging lately. Then last weekend I bombarded everyone with tons of new posts as I was beginning to transfer my old blog over, and now it's quiet here!

See, we live in an old drafty house. The drafts are BAD, especially when it is very windy. (I'm going to focus on fixing that later this week.) Not only is it cold and drafty, but this house is also in need of new wiring. So, when it is really cold like this, we need to turn on all the heaters we have (no central heat and air at the moment), which means I have to unplug the computer, which means no blogging!

I need a laptop!!!

But it's all good! I'm sitting next to the front door that is really drafty and also on the north side of the house, and it's not bad today! The temps are about the same, but I guess the wind isn't blowing. Yea! It's actually quite warm in my bedroom!

We've mostly been watching TV (way too much of it.....I'm getting sick of flipping through show after show!), reading books, finger weaving, face painting, crocheting (I taught the kids a chain stitch this morning, and they caught on very quickly), playing with blocks and Legos, fighting off the dogs when we're trying to prepare a meal and eat (since they are in the kitchen right now because of the weather), trying to keep the dogs and cats away from each other, and taking turns in front of the smaller heaters. I am getting so stir-crazy!

To top it all off, I can't find my phone. I really feel isolated today!

We can't get out right now either because Myles took the van. He doesn't have a working heater/AC in his car. We're supposed to get out tomorrow though, unless our activities get cancelled. We've got PE and then a gingerbread house-making party! Fun!

Wow, this post sounds so negative! LOL!

But it's all good. We'll get out tomorrow, even if our activities are cancelled (because it is supposed to get above freezing tomorrow!) and I'll go get what I need to seal up the front door. It's supposed to get like this again this weekend, but at least we'll have a couple of days to fix the problem.

I hope everyone stays warm! I already have lots more pictures to blog about, but they'll have to wait. I need to turn the heater back on. (sigh)

3 comments:

  1. I know all about drafty, bad wiring, and no central heat and air.

    We have done a lot of re-wiring though and that has helped tremendously. I am no longer just waiting for the house to burn to the ground.

    We also put in a pellet burning stove. Maybe you could buy a wood stove when they go on clearance and put that in somewhere. We had a hard time finding a good place to put it. But we did and I love it. I think it costs us about $50 a month to run it when it is really cold. Less when it is just chilly. A wood burning stove would be even cheaper if you scavenge the wood from off the side of the road, etc. We gave our friend all of our wood from our broken tree limbs (from the ice storm) and they still have quite a bit left. It heats most of their house. Just a thought!! I do know what you are going through because we had to do it the first couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds cold - lol! you're colder than us, but we still have some snow on the ground - and so far this big storm we're supposed to have has produced nothing more than ten minutes of itty bitty snowflakes - seriously, there should have been school! try to stay warm, can't wait to see pics though! and btw - I miss your pic at the top :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christy. I'm glad someone can relate! I feel like we're the only ones living like this sometimes. LOL!

    Sash, I took the picture off at the top just so it will load faster, not just for other people, but myself as well! I miss it too though. I have GOT to get my vacation pictures organized and blog about it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.