Saturday, May 16, 2009

Random thoughts about remote controls and men


Aren't remote controls funny? I mean, think about it. When I was a kid, I was my dad's remote control. ME! And I don't think I minded too much because I was used to it, plus I had three brothers who shared the responsibility.

But the modern day remote control.....they've been around for a while now, but we still use our own kids sometimes. Why? Because we are always LOSING the remotes!!!! It frustrates Myles so much! I just laugh......until I lose it myself! I don't watch as much TV though, so I don't have to keep up with them as much.

Oh, and another funny thing, Myles always blames the kids. Is that just a natural thing for dads to do? It's always the kids making messes, losing his tools, leaving something out to be tripped over......and losing the remote. I just have to laugh. The kids may never have even stepped foot in the room, but SOMEHOW it is there fault. It has to be! (But sometimes it really is.)

And it also cracks me up when the batteries are running low. For some reason we want to push the buttons harder. That will probably only damage it, not help it. But instead of replacing batteries, we mash the buttons harder, move closer, bang it really hard......and for some reason it still doesn't work! "Kids! Come change the channel for me!"

And the codes..... Nowadays there are codes for the VCR, DVDR, satellite/cable.....and if the batteries come out (at least on our remote) you have to re-enter ALL of the codes! Who keeps track of that little paper that comes with it? Not us! But we do keep track of the computer, so I've bookmarked the codes for his remote. :)

I bought Myles this DVDR for his birthday last year. It was just under $300. They are now discontinued, so I am glad I went ahead and got one. Check out the current price!!!!!

But, it is useless without the remote, which Myles decided a few weeks ago must have gotten mixed in with the trash! Seriously, you cannot do anything with this if you do not have the remote, except maybe watch the one channel it is set on, but that can change if you have it set to record, so whatever it recorded last, you can watch that channel. So I had to buy him a new remote, which only ended up costing just over $20 including shipping. Well, he shouldn't have to worry about losing it again because Jayla crawled under the bed today and found the first one! It was hiding very well! So now we have two that both work very well. :)

Okay, I'll stop rambling, but I just think remotes and the men who use them are funny! Please share your own funny remote control stories or feel free to offer suggestions on how to keep up with them! Myles just sits or lays on the bed to watch, so it usually gets lost on or under the bed. :)

This is what we need, but with 4 kids in a two bedroom, 1100 square foot house, we have no room for it!

2 comments:

  1. Story about my man and his remote!

    I must preface the story with a fact from his childhood. He was a kid when he was young, lol, his mother asked him to unplug the curling iron from the extension cord. He tuggedand couldn't get it unplugged. So naturally he used his teeth and both hands to pull it out. Needless to say the jolt split the corner of his mouth a few inches toward the ear and there were several surgeries and such repairing damage. So his story is that jolt is still affecting him to this day!

    Early on in our marriage, we were watching television and the remote was in my dear husbands hand, as it should be, according to him. So at a real suspenseful moment in the movie, the remote goes flying through the air, because of past electrical injury that still gives him jolts and if something is in the hand when this happens, well, now you know . . . the rest of the story!!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Remotes! You love'em but you hate'em! Yes I remember being the remote for my dad too! Except I hated b/c I was born so late that the bros and sis's where out of the house by the time I was born so I grew up as if I was an only child
    Therefore leaving me w/the remote duty! So yes I am thankful for the remote taking over my job but I hate it when it's lost! Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.