Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It was fun while it lasted!

I have really enjoyed having short hair. I think I have had it cut 3 or maybe 4 times since vacation last October in order to keep it short. Well, even though I really like it, I have decided that I will probably always have long hair. Why?

Well, since you asked..... :)

I have been studying lately about head coverings in 1 Cor. chapter 11. The passage reads:

2-Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3-But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. 4-Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, 5-but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. 6-For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. 7-For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. 8-For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. 9-Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10-That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11-Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman; 12-for as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God. 13-Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14-Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15-but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16-If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.

Now, don't jump to conclusions. This post is not exactly about head coverings! It is about submission.

I have always had a hard time submitting and trying to figure out exactly what that means. And then I talk to an older woman (one example of many through the years) who has been a born-again believer most of her life and she says she is still learning to submit. (sigh) So I guess maybe I'll be dealing with it a while. Pride is similar, and actually it is hard to submit BECAUSE of pride.

And we all have pride, don't we? Or are you humble......and proud of it? :)

So I haven't exactly been convicted to wear a head covering, though I certainly think it is a great thing if women do this and I may too in the future, but I WAS convicted about my heart attitude when it comes to submission to my husband. I can submit in actions pretty easily, but my heart is not always right. I am to submit to my husband because I love him and want to serve him and make him happy, and I am to follow his example as he submits to Christ.

So back to the hair, this passage says that if a woman doesn't cover her head, it would be better for her to cut her hair short, but that is a disgrace! So it's either cover my short hair or grow it long again. I was going to cover my head when praying out loud so I could keep my hair short but Myles keeps bugging me about cutting off my long hair last fall. He tries to sound like he's just teasing me, but I know he was disappointed that I got it cut. He said something again this afternoon and I finally said, "If you want me to let it grow out again, just tell me! Let your 'yes' be yes and your 'no' be no!" (I just had to throw in a verse there. LOL!)

He still didn't just come out and say it because he wants it to be my decision, I suppose, but he did tell me, "Let me just put it this way; I PREFER your hair to be long."

Okay, fine, I get it. I will let go of this vain thing and go back to the flat hair, maybe with bangs this time (LOL), if that is what makes him happy.

So I'm still working on the heart attitude, but at least I am aware of it now and it is constantly in my face, so to speak. I know I'll never be perfect, but I hope to always work toward being a better wife. Right now there is MUCH room for improvement!

7 comments:

  1. Deep thoughts here, and I'm going to focus on the shallow -- I don't know what your hair's like long, but have you considered layers? They'll give it more movement and maybe a little wave.

    I keep wanting to cut my hair short again, and my husband actually would love it, but I just don't have the energy right now. When it's short, I have to wash, blowdry, and style every single day or it's grease city and/or bedhead hilarity. With long hair, I can skip a day or four of washing and just wet the roots and fluff it out (those layers help!) or pull it back if it's really bad. Hope you find something that works for you as you seek to honor your convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren!

    The reason I don't like (or was getting tired of) my hair long is because it is so thick, which makes it very hot. So then I end up pulling it up off my neck and I don't like the look of that. Also, it is straight in the front and sides but wavy in the back, so when it is short it looks really cute (I've always thought it looked better short and I've had complete strangers say they like my "cute" haircut, quite often actually!), but when it is long, I pretty much have to brush what is left of the waviness out. It just is so blah! But maybe that will help keep me humble. :) My hair will not take perms either. I do prefer it layered just because it is so thick. I may try bangs this time since it's been years since I've had any. I don't know, maybe this could be a fun new challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Cindy, I'm going to tell you how I feel and I hope you don't get angry because it is just my opinion and I am not Myles (Thank goodness I know)
    Cindy, you were so happy with your hair and you looked so cute.
    Robert says the same thing about my hair...he would prefer it long, but I don't keep it long for him. Mine is because I had short hair my whole life. My mother started cutting it short (boy short) in first grade I think? I was called a boy until I was in jr high!!
    I moved in with my grandparents and they would not let me get it cut, and of course when I moved back home ...had to cut t again.
    I guess I'm sick to death of everybody else dictating how my hair looks.
    I wanted to get pink in my hair for the longest time but out of respect for Robert I didn't until recently he finally backed down and I got it and LOVED IT!
    Now, I can't figure out why I didn't do it a long time ago.
    My grandma was the most loving, pure, perfect Christian I have ever known. Honestly. I never heard a bad word about anyboy come out of her mouth. She never talked about anybody, she loved everybody even if they werent loveable. She was a preachers wife. She read her bible every single day her whole life.
    She had short hair.

    My point I guess is that I think yo should make yourself happy or you can't make anybody else happy.

    You know, the whole saying. ....You can't love others if you don't love yourself...or something like that, you get the idea.
    I'm not saying you wouldn't love yourself, but you do have a sense of confedience about you when your hair is short and sassy....and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Christy, no offense at all! I completely understand what you're saying, but the thing is, it's not really an appearance issue or even wanting to please my husband issue exactly, it's a heart issue. It's just something I am dealing with in my spiritual life right now. And I believe it is a personal conviction, so I'm not saying that I believe every woman should have long hair (and every man should have short hair) by any means! I am just convicted about this personally, and I would not try to push my own PERSONAL convictions on anyone else. Thanks for your comments though! I appreciate the compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Cindy, I think you are beautiful, either way. I also think we do need to submit to our husbands, but there are many more ways than hair to do that! I bet that if he thinks about it, Myles would want you happy and confidant, more than he may want you in long hair- AND I bet if he REALLY thinks about it, that he'll want you submissive in more areas, than just your outward appearance. Sometimes, the outward is easier to change than the inner. Make sure when you are working on the inner that you don't make an outward adjustment, because it is simpler- that's cheating! :D

    Anyway, i really liked your post. i like how you shared your struggles with submission and I'm sure Myles would agree- you're beautiful with short or long hair- for more than just your outward appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only you knew how he has tortured me since I have cut it! I don't know why exactly, but it's a big deal to him for some reason, so I will do it for him. It's more important to him that I have it long than it is for me to have it short. :)

    I know what you mean though, and I think he definitely agrees that the inward heart attitude is more important than outer appearance! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe- well, it sounds like YOU will be happier without him torturing you, too!! I'm growing mine out too. (I look better in long hair)Hopefully yours will be long enough that you can put it up this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.