Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Yeah, I know I'm weird.

I was in Jayla's class tonight at Girl Scouts. They were going through the alphabet thinking of "healthy" foods for each letter. (I wasn't really surprised that so many of them were meat and dairy. We haven't completely given up dairy yet, but that is next on our list towards a healthier lifestyle. Currently though, half of my family is meatless!)

So for the more difficult ones, I tried to come up with fruits and veggies or at least things you might find at a health food store that are not at most grocery stores, and I tried to think ahead. So when they got to D, I waited to see if anyone could think of anything first, and when they couldn't, I offered up durian. I asked if anyone had heard of a durian and I described the appearance, taste and texture (I forgot to mention the SMELL!). The leaders, Christi and Shannon, were intrigued. I beamed. LOL!

When they came to K, I mentioned kale. Very healthy indeed, and most little kids haven't heard of it.

Then they came to the letter M. Mangos are Jayla's favorite fruit, so I tried to give her a hint....she wasn't thinking along those lines, I guess, so I finally just said it. Another little girl came up to me later and said they were her favorite too. :)

So then it came time for the letter Q. That was a tough one! I asked them if anyone had heard of Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). Shannon couldn't take it anymore and just blurted out, "WHERE are you FROM???"

3 comments:

  1. That is funny. We actually bought some quinoa, but we have only tried it twice. I really need to try it again.

    We eat lots of fruits and veggies that most kids won't eat either. Alrhough I only like mangoes in smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - I sure hope she was saying it in laughter! I love mangos too! haven't tried quinoa or durian - but I've heard of them (durian from you I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! Did you reply Crunchville?
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.