Tuesday, November 4, 2008

still dreaming of cob!

I would LOVE to have a cob house someday! Now, take a look at these pictures and try to tell me these aren't the cutest, coziest little homes you've ever seen!!!

I will not even attempt to label these because there are so many, but some of these benches have heated seats! They are molded around pipes which connect to a fireplace, so the heat goes through the pipes and warms your buns! I imagine it works very well too since cob is a mixture of clay, sand and straw. I'm sure it holds the heat very well!

Check out some of the detail work in the walls. There are little nooks for displaying items. One of these is a sort of refrigerator on the north wall of the house! I love the windows and doors too! So many possibilities! And the best part, you can build a simple cob house for just a few hundred dollars! It is labor-intensive, but look at the results!

Here are a couple of links on cob building if you want to learn more:
Cob Cottage Company (Check out even more pictures!)
Cob Builder's Handbook (You can get this on Amazon, but more than half of it is online here for free!)























































3 comments:

  1. they're definitely cute and cozy - but if inexpensive you could really do a lot and have quite a bit of space! I love how you could completely customize it - and how neat to be able to say "I built my house", and literally - you did! I actually find them very pleasing to the eye and quite cute on the inside too - if you ever do get to build one, I'd definitely have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out why I love the looks of these so much -- they look like Dr. Seuss houses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasha, if/when that day ever comes, I will let you know and invite you down right away! I'll even let you stay in it if it is our "guest house" or something. :) Jayla wants to build a pink one. I think that would be so cute for a cob house!

    They do look like Dr. Seuss houses! I never thought of that! LOL! They are very appealing to the eye and very cutesy!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.