Monday, June 1, 2009

Doctrines of Men, part 3: Historical Church Documents

The Early New Testament ChurchI wanted to include one more type of false doctrines to this topic: Historical Church Documents.

This is mostly associated with denominations (see how they all tie in together?), but they are still all doctrines of men. What are these historical church documents? I am speaking of creeds, confessions of faith and catechisms! This would also include individual churches' bylaws.

I may surprise a lot of people here, and even my own husband originally thought I was being "extreme", but over the last few weeks we have seen the dangers of following these documents. It may be true for some that they are based on the bible, but then I have one simple question.....

If it is based on the bible, why not just use the bible???

The danger in using these documents comes when someone or a group of believers begin putting these documents above the bible. I have heard preaching from these documents from the pulpit, which shouldn't really surprise me since the church doesn't follow the New Testament model to begin with! But this pastor actually said that we cannot fully rely on the bible only, but we also need these historical documents to know what our forefathers believed! I knew he valued these things far too greatly, but I was shocked to hear him say that. The Bible and the Holy Spirit (pray for wisdom and discernment!) is all you need in order to know the will of God and His doctrines! We do not need any doctrines of men or anything to "clarify" what the bible is saying!

See, that is how all the "isms" slip into churches these days. If believers would stop referring back to "church history" (that is not from the bible) and simply read the bible for what it says, there would be much more unity. Even many of the martyrs who died for what they believed in were heretics! The murderers didn't care what the martyrs believed, they just killed them for taking a stand, true or not! Just because they died for what they believed in does not make me obligated to follow them, I am obligated to follow GOD only.

The second more obvious problem is when man's interpretation of the bible is incorrect, and many believers are "catechizing" their children with these false teachings. Maybe most of it is true, but maybe some of it is not......are you sure you want your children learning and memorizing from them rather than straight from the bible? If you feel so strongly about teaching the catechisms, why not just use the questions and verses as a guideline and not even read what the written answers are? Find the answers for yourself straight from the bible!

As for the individual church bylaws, there is so much wrong with all that. First of all, it sets that one church aside as an individual, distinct organization, and we already know that denominations are not from God and that He desires unity among His Church (singular). Secondly, where in the bible does it talk about church voting, for example? They were told to appoint elders in every town (because all the house churches were one church!) in Titus 1:5:

For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you—

There is much more to say about all of these topics, and maybe I will expound on them more one day, but this is some food for thought to anyone who is reading. I pray everyone will throw out their "hand-me-down doctrines" in exchange for reading and studying the word of God and see what the bible really says about certain doctrines. Some denominations are right on with some of the doctrines, but the fact that they are a denomination is not biblical, so you know we will find much more! I do not ever expect to find the "perfect" church, but I also am not willing to settle when I know of one that is truly following the New Testament example for the church of God. These little house churches do exist, they are just few and harder to find. If you do not find one near you, why not start your own! It may not be "ideal" and maybe you feel inadequate as a teacher, but do the best you can with what you have, and pray that God will send true believers to you who can all participate in the edification of the believers. It is such a joyous experience to truly experience this from Acts 2:42:

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

And I'll blog more about this verse in the near future. :)

2 comments:

  1. What's funny is I think you and I are studying the same thing! I wish some christians would just read the bible for themselves and not their doctrines.I don''t think they want to use thir extra time to study they just want to hear the sermon so they get their "God Fix" and leave. They are too busy to take their extra time to study.They want their extra timwe that they have to just rest b/c most parents are going to be the soccer parents (or add your own sport) and run here and there or just stay busy and then when they do have that off time they just want their me time!

    Also some people are so wrapped up in their doctrines it would be too hard for them to leave.I have a friend who was exactly like that. Her dad is a Nazarene missionary and still goes to all the small churches and does revivals and stuff.But she was so wrapped up in the doctrine she had a hard time leaving it.I will say she has left and her dad has actually came to where we go and has listened in our stuff a few times now! I haven't ever heard his opinion about where we go to church but I am sure my friend hears it later at home. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more you comment on these posts the more I agree with you that we do seem to believe and be studying the same things! Praise God for the UNITY! :) Maybe we'll come visit your little group someday. Afterall, we ARE all one Church! :) Too bad you're not a little closer to me though!!!

    My hubby is having a hard time leaving the denomination or we would have been gone long ago, but he's getting close! Please remember him in your prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.