Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jonathan update

Jonathan has been much more heavily involved in Cub Scouts this year. He is in Webelos I (4th grade) and Myles is in training as a leader, so they have been doing pretty much every activity they have time for, which makes much less time that we see them around the house. But it is usually no more than 1 or 2 days a week and a camping trip once or twice a month. In fact, they just got back from camping again where they camped in cabins (usually they camp in tents) at some caverns! Fun stuff! Jonathan even made breakfast for everyone this morning and cleaned up afterward. (I'm sure he had help??)

I cannot believe that my "baby" is about to turn TEN YEARS OLD in just a couple of weeks! Wow! Time sure does fly, and that really isn't a figure of speech! Where has the time gone? I wish I could just freeze time and keep them all young, but it's also very exciting to see them grow and mature. They each have special God-given talents and passions in life.

Jonathan has always said he wanted to be an animal rescuer.....until recently. On one camping trip, they met a Game Warden and were given some kind of guided tour or something (I wasn't there!), and he thought it was so cool. Evidently he had a hard time hearing the guy though because now he wants to be a "game board". :) He knows the correct name now, but we got a kick out of that one!

Jonathan has finally met a neighborhood kid who is close to his age, so they have been riding bikes together some. He seems like a nice kid. I think it's funny though how he just feels so welcome at our house.....he will ride MY kids' bikes in OUR driveway when we're gone! Haha!! No harm done though. I'm glad he feels comfortable around us. The boys have a lot of fun together, and so far I haven't noticed any "red flags" about this kid. I watch closely though since he goes to a government (public) school, and it is just a much different environment where he is exposed to a lot more than my kids are!

We have also been having another (homeschool) friend over every Friday who just turned 10, so they have a lot of fun together too. They mostly play the Wii and ride bikes together. It has been a good experience as far as adding another personality to the family dynamic. It's been fun. He's a great kid and pretty goofy!

I guess friends and Cub Scouts have been most of the "things" that have taken up Jonathan's time lately. Other things he does alone or with siblings are taking care of the animals, playing outside a lot lately since the weather has been nice, trying to find ways to earn his own money, karate, PE, reading......and he has always been very good at the academic stuff. We still pretty much "lifeschool" in everything, and if I had to guess, I think he would still be right on or even ahead of his grade level. He knows all kinds of information from books and magazines, and he is just a smart kid! He has really matured a lot this past year too. He doesn't seem like a little kid at all anymore! :(

We really appreciate Jonathan. He has always had more responsibility than the other kids just because he is the oldest, and he is turning in to a nice young gentleman! :)

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about time flying ... in January I felt a little overwhelmed that my first baby was nine and my second was turning five - as my "baby" was approaching two and we were expecting another baby! It was crazy! I have another friend who's son turned ten in March, ten is such a big deal ... I can't believe I only have until November and I'll be the one with a ten year old - big stuff!

    ... and, I have to say it, you're so lucky and blessed to be able to keep your kids home with you. I've been so aching (again) to have my children home, I can't stand the attitude that my daughter has - I know I'm not a perfect parent, but I feel strongly that the school environment does not help in a lot of areas - yuck! I'm trying to really be in prayer for possible heart changes, even though homeschooling here in CA is a bit difficult - but I know it would be worth it. I so bad want to be back in OK and keeping my kids home and letting them be kids and learn at their own pace, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart truly aches for you. I can't imagine being forced to send my kids to public school when I am so passionate about it, but I know you are doing the right thing.....God can change hearts and minds! I will continue to pray for you. And I hope you can make it back out here one day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.