Tuesday, April 20, 2010

analogy

I don't even know if anyone ever reads this, but I love getting my thoughts down here as I am growing in my understanding of God's word!

I could add a couple of verses to this, but I'll just share my thoughts for now. Feel free to ask for verses though!

I heard an analogy yesterday that I thought was great, but misunderstood.

This radio personality likened the body of Christ to a potluck dinner. Everyone brings something different. Many times the same people bring the main dishes, others always bring side dishes, and some never bring anything.

Okay, I can agree with that.

Then he went on to ask rhetorically, "Shouldn't we all bring MORE? Shouldn't the people who bring a main dish also bring a side dish? Shouldn't the side dish people be bringing a main dish and a dessert as well? And the ones who never bring anything, shouldn't they pitch in and do their part to make the meal better?" (paraphrased)

I disagree with his thinking!!!

If he was referring to the spiritual gifts that each person has in the body of Christ, and we are all a part of the body (some are hands, some are feet, some are eyes, etc.), then no, each one of us should bring to the table what we are gifted in. Maybe we could do MORE of what we are doing, but when we try to do things we are not called to do, we don't do as good of a job. We also get distracted from what we are called to do, and therefore, others will suffer as well! And those who are doing very little or nothing, obviously they are in need of some discipling. Instead of criticizing or gossiping, how about teaching them and guiding them in their own journey?

I would rather have the best main dish and side dishes that someone can make and savor every bite, rather than some cheap cafeteria food in large quantities. For those who usually do not bring anything, maybe they could bring a drink (with a friendly reminder call.....a.k.a. encouragement and prayer!) as they are learning how to cook.....or maybe bringing a drink or two is what their gift is!

Am I the only one who is so stinkin' tired of "churchianity" and their misunderstanding of God's word and the body of Christ? I don't have all the answers, not even close, but God has shown me so much lately, and I need to have patience and remember that everyone is at a different place. I just hope that many more get fed up with churchianity too so we can move on into true, biblical Church fellowship, living for Christ, loving our brethren and discipling those younger (in faith) than we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.