Saturday, January 17, 2009

Raw birthday cake and ice cream!

This is so good! I have made this several times now, mostly for birthdays, but I also made it once for a raw potluck. I had several people who I had never met before hunt me down and ask me for the recipe. non-vegs like this too, though they do mostly seem to prefer a "regular" cake (mostly judging by my hubby). Everyone so far has liked it though!

Un-Chocolate Cake (adapted from Eating Without Heating by Boutenko)

5 C. ground walnuts
3 C. raisins
4 T. raw carob powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt

Blend in processor well. Press into bottom of dish.

Frosting:

1 C. raw tahini
4 T. honey
3 T. raw carob powder
1 tsp. vanilla
Water to thin

Mix in processor and spread over cake. Refrigerate. Eat when you are ready for it!

I made this with raw cocoa last time because I didn't have any raw carob, but I have to say, I really prefer the carob! Normally I would prefer chocolate/cocoa, but not in this recipe. It is so good exactly like it is.

I like the idea of decorating it with fruit! That would be pretty and add even more flavor.

For the ice cream to go with it, I do one of two things. I either do the simplest ice cream recipe of just frozen bananas processed through the Champion juicer using the blank, and then we sometimes will add other fruit and/or toppings. Simple. I've heard you can also make this in a food processor, but I've never tried it myself since we have the Champion.

Another option is one of the recipes from the recipe book called Vice Cream. (I got mine on Amazon.) I've made two different ones so far, and they are really good, but most of them are made up primarily of cashews. I tend to only use this if I am wanting a specific flavor. The last one I made was mint carob chip. It wasn't green (YEA!), but it tasted very similar to the traditional SAD dairy mint chocolate chip! I was impressed!

Usually when I make this there are leftovers because it is so filling, so I have let the kids eat it for breakfast the next day. It is so yummy and healthy, so I don't have to worry about them being hungry, whining or getting something that is highly processed with little nutrition. It works for everyone! :)

I haven't made this in a while, and now my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.