Thursday, July 30, 2009

Head coverings

The Early New Testament Church
I know, ya'll already think I've totally lost it with some of my personal beliefs (Hey, I'm just following God's word!), but I'm going to go even weirder on you tonight. Ready?

The early church studied the doctrinal teachings of the apostles, and one of those teachings was on head coverings. I think that the reason there is not much space devoted to it in the New Testament is because back in those times it was more easily understood.

Okay, so I have been studying 1 Cor. 11 for a few months now, and in the beginning I was just convicted to be more submissive to my husband, and out of that came the decision to grow my hair back out again (because of the passage AND because he never wanted it short to begin with). That was all very clear to me, but now God is taking me deeper, and it's just not quite as clear. I just wanted to ask your opinion on it.

How do you feel about head coverings? Paul is clearly talking about a material covering as opposed to the hair, but I am finding two different beliefs on this. One is that a woman should ONLY cover while praying or prophesying (which includes reading the Bible aloud) in corporate worship, which I understand why they believe this, but I just have never completely agreed with it. The other, more common, belief is that women of those times were covered at ALL times when in public as part of their modest attire, and that Paul was saying to leave the cover on while praying or prophesying (don't take it off). I have read that there were prophetesses who would remove their cover when they prayed or prophesied (because they were doing a man's work), and that is what Paul was referring to. (But note that later he says that women should remain silent in the church!)

Paul specifically tells them to keep it on (I believe.....the 2nd take on it), and though this is based in part on cultural dress, I think we, as Christian women today, should also include a head covering as part of our modest ensemble! It is clear, if you study head coverings throughout the centuries, that women gradually changed to more fashionable coverings, designer hats and then stylish hairdos because of current styles........so does that make it okay NOT to cover just because the majority of women in our modern culture do not??? What do you think? I really do want to hear what your understanding of this apostolic teaching is!

And keep in mind, we were called out as a peculiar people to be different from the world! I'm all over that one! :)

6 comments:

  1. I read all the comments on FB regarding this - very interesting subject, and one I've never studied - mind you! My personal feeling is that God is not up in heaven waiting to wag His finger at us for not covering our heads, cutting our hair, wearing pants, etc. I believe there are bigger issues when it comes to being a Christ-follower ... therefore I do not, personally, believe it's necessary to cover my head. We all have our own opinions on these things, ya know ... just like we all have our own personal convictions! It's a toughie sometimes, knowing just what God wants of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you've never read this but still feel confident that you do not have to cover, at least while praying or prophesying? Hmm....maybe you should study it for yourself! :) Yes, there are a lot of "bigger" issues, but as God refines us and works on the big issues, He then continues to work on the "little" issues in our lives. Not to say I don't have any other bigger issues at all (AHEM - overeating - AHEM), but sometimes we can work through more than one thing at a time. Sometimes certain issues take a lifetime to work through while others "click" and you've got it!

    I have found it interesting that so many people keep throwing around the term "personal conviction", JUST AS I DO AT TIMES, but it's right there in the bible! Should that really be a "personal conviction" when it is so clear? Aren't we actually ignoring it because it's not what we want to do? That's where I was, but I am working on changing my own beliefs to what the Bible says rather than making the Bible fit what I want to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago when we lived in Alaska, we joined an Anabaptist church. Not because of the headcovering but at the time, we were into the dresses only and we liked the kids that were growing up in that environment. The kids were behaved and just different from the regular Christian kids today. I covered for about a year and a half and let me tell you, that was the worst time in my life. I didn't do it because I wanted to but because I thought that was what God wanted me to do. I had never felt so far away from God as I did the whole time I covered. What I was trying to do was "earn" my salvation by trying to wear the covering, homeschooling, staying away from TV, etc. God showed me that it is a heart issue. Those who cover, for the most part, are very happy with that decision. I think its great but do not believe God calls everyone to do it. That's my two cents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true that you cannot earn your salvation through works, but faith without works is dead. Both must be present. You may not hate a person in your heart (same as murder), but does that mean it is okay to kill someone as long as you don't hate him? Is it okay to rob a bank as long as your heart is "in the right place"? Definitely your heart does need to be right and you shouldn't wear a headcovering for legalistic reasons, but if God commands it (through the apostles whom He gave authority), shouldn't we obey that?

    In 1 Cor. 11 the reason is to show the angels the proper line of authority. If we are to judge angels someday, we'd better understand it ourselves!

    So it's not at all about "works" for me, it's a matter of obedience. And for now I am only covering when praying or prophesying in corporate worship because that is what my husband (my "head") wants me to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to encourage you in your search for the truth of God's Word. You are correct about 1 Cor 11 and the Lord speaks about headship: "head of Christ is God, head of man, Christ...etc." We women are the glory of man, and our glory should be covered. That is my simple explanation. :) I found your blog through a friend on Facebook, and I just wanted to encourage you. We attend a small bible chapel in our town. We have the Lord's Supper every Sunday morning, and all the women wear headcoverings in the meetings. We go by NT principles and do not have a pastor, but several elders. Anyway, if you'd like to email me with any questions, that would be fine. God's richest blessings,
    Jennifer www.bzbeemomx6@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have studied that passage. We've heard both sides of the issue. Currently I and my two oldest are wearing headcoverings because my husband asked us to. I personally have no conviction to wear one. I do however have a conviction to submit to my husband. If he tells me to not wear it anymore, I'll take it off. If he wants me to wear it until the day I die, it stays on. That is where we are right now.

    ReplyDelete

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.