Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise and Chicken Salad


I don't blog about food very often, because it is not my passion or something I am particularly *great* at, but this one needs its 15 minutes of fame.

I wanted to make this chicken salad with grapes, but it calls for mayonnaise, and the only kind I have has gelatin in it (and probably other ingredients we are no longer consuming). So I decided I would finally buckle down and make my own mayonnaise. I'd been threatening to do it for a few months now, and now I wish I had done it sooner. It was so easy and so delicious!

This is the basic recipe I used for the mayo, and below is exactly what I used. See the link for full recipe and to see how to ferment it and keep it longer!

1 cup coconut oil (I didn't have any other oil on hand, and I don't care for the taste of olive oil anyway.)
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
2 TBSP. kombucha (I didn't have any lemon juice or vinegar.)
1/2 tsp. salt (Himalayan or Real Salt is best!)

It turned out to be perfect!

Now this is the recipe I adapted for my chicken salad. I also added some roasted bell pepper (red) and some dried cranberries. With my homemade mayo, I just used the mayo and yogurt for the creamy part. And again, no lemons (or lemon juice) or vinegar, so I used kombucha. I have been wanting to make this for a while too, and it is everything I dreamed it would be!!! SO GOOD!!!

I also love that I was able to use, not only the homemade mayo, but organic, home grown, top quality ingredients. I am definitely going to make this more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.