Monday, April 9, 2012

Peacock wall hanging

My oldest son, who is almost 12, now has an heirloom that once belonged to my grandparents, his great-grandparents. My mom still lives in the house they had built in 1975, but she is alone now and has been doing some remodeling and redecorating.

Jonathan always slept in "Grandpa Farmer's" bed whenever we went to visit my parents. The bed was no longer slept in by anyone else, but everything stayed the same as when they both still occupied the room, including this giant peacock that was above their bed.
I always loved it. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe because it is simply beautiful, maybe because it is a peacock or perhaps just because it was so unusual. My grandma was very stylish (unlike me!), so I'm sure this was expensive and very modern at the time. But now it is vintage.....and worth a little something! I thought it would only be worth a few dollars at a garage sale, but we actually found one on the internet that already sold recently for about $375!

This past weekend, we helped my mom repaint the room (pink!!!), and she was just ready for it to be gone. So she sent it home with us, and I decided, kind of spur-of-the-moment, to give it to Jonathan. He was so excited, so much so that he wanted to put it in the storm cellar just to keep it safe! LOL! Silly boy. We told him it would be safe on his loft, and it needs to be out where we can see it and enjoy it. We told him that if it did get destroyed in a storm or something, insurance would pay for replacement value, and the money would go to him. His words of wisdom......."If I replaced it, it wouldn't be the same since it didn't belong to Grandpa Farmer." True. 

He loves it and has no intention of ever selling it, and I am so happy about that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.