Sunday, October 24, 2010

Transition phase, part 2

So I am trying to decide which direction to go in regards to curriculum, if I even follow any. My over all philosophy is TJEd, and I also love the Charlotte Mason philosophy. As far as curriculum, I am really LOVING Heart of Wisdom, and it is all free!

My original intent a year or two ago, when I first decided it was time to do *something* a little more intentional with the kids.....something more than "just playing" since they are getting older and need more (and are playing less), was to teach exclusively (or as exclusively as possible) from the bible itself. I still intend to do that, but I am also learning, about myself, that I am not really creative when it comes to making up "lesson plans" from scratch! So now I am trying to be careful not to rely too heavily on non-bible curriculums, but to simply use them as a guide. I want to teach history straight from the bible, and hand writing will be copying down verses and passages of Scripture. We have done a lot of scrapbooking, and I think I will also incorporate some lapbooking. There are many, many numbers in the bible, so planning math lessons should come fairly easily! There is all kinds of science in the bible. I may use this site a lot for ideas!

I also have the Keepers and Contenders books for them to go through, and I am really loving them so far! They seem very biblical and practical to helping them learn how to be a good husband/wife and father/mother someday, which is something I want them to be great at! Many of the skills the boys will get from it are similar to the Scouting skills. We may just "award" them some badges for things they have already done, but some of them will be done again, depending on the particular skill and the need.

We also have bible maps as well as current maps that the kids really LOVE to look at, and we can do a lot with those as well! Geography, world missions, unit studies on certain countries, etc.

I think that covers most all of the basics. As they continue to get older, I will help them learn how to seek out information to be able to study whatever area they are interested in and help them reach their specific goals.

In addition to all of this, there are tons of free things on the internet. I do make use of them quite often, but I want to do more! There are educational games as well as an almost unlimited number of free printable materials of all kinds. And of course, any time the kids ask me some off-the-wall question, we just search the 'net and find out all kinds of fascinating information!

Whew! I do feel better now that all this is out! I just really love homeschooling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.