Friday, March 9, 2007

Homemade playdough and a "VERY 2" little boy!

Don't ya just love little ones? :) Oh the joys of having a 2-year-old!

Last week we had a sugar incident, and that same day Jonathan had asked why I put "very" in front of Jacob's age in my email signature (very 2). I used that incident as an example, and he was able to understand what it meant. LOL!

Well, today I have another perfect example!

We went to a local craft store and decided to get more icing coloring for some play-dough (I'm sure you can see where this is going). It colors much better than regular food coloring. We didn't have any red, so I decided to get one. We were walking through the store when, probably about 10 minutes later, I looked down in the basket where Jacob was sitting (he likes to sit in the big part) and, more out of shock than anger, I gasped "JACOB DANIEL!!!" just as a lady was coming toward us. She didn't even try to hide the fact that she was gauking at us, obviously curious what "Jacob Daniel" did. As she passed by, she gave a sympathetic laugh and said "I feel sorry for you!"

Jacob had managed to get the lid off of the icing color! I thought they had seals on them, and I seriously thought he couldn't get into it! But he did! He had red everywhere, but mostly in and around his mouth. He was EATING it! Fortunately we were right by the bathroom, so I picked him up while keeping hold of his arm that was covered with red and walked him into the bathroom. I got it cleaned up as much as possible while trying to keep it from getting on the other kids and the things in the basket.....it got on me in the process. (sigh)

So here are the after shots....after we got all cleaned up!


I have a picture of me too, but you'll just have to trust me when I say it was all over my shirt and hands. :)

Jacob and I made some play-dough for him tonight (betcha can't guess what color!), but I didn't get any pictures of him playing with it. Jonathan and Jayla though were playing with theirs outside earlier in the day, so I did get pictures of them. They each helped make their own too. Daddy even played with it tonight and made a log cabin. :)


This is the best homemade play-dough ever! It is AT LEAST as good as the name brand Play-dough. It looks, feels, smells and probably tastes just like the real thing! Here's the recipe:

In a pan, combine 1 Cup flour, 2 tsp Cream of Tarter and 1/2 Cup of salt.

In a liquid measuring cup (or bowl), combine 1 Cup water with 1 TBSP oil.

Mix the two together and add food coloring (or icing color). Place on stove and cook on high while continuing to stir. Don't let it burn! When it clumps together and pulls away from the side, you can remove it from the heat. It should only take 2 or 3 minutes...very quick! Dump on counter and knead until it is all mixed together thoroughly and cool enough to play with. That's it! Very quick and easy! Thank you Laura for that awesome recipe! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.