Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Going underground someday!

I've got a lot to blog about....we went to the zoo yesterday *and* today and took over 200 pictures!!! Myles took off work today, so that's why we went back. Of course, it was rainy today, so there were only a dozen or so cars in the parking lot. It's great if you like to have the zoo to yourself, but everything was closed! :( The temperature was perfect though, and it never rained while we were there.

I don't have all the pictures on my computer yet, so I will blog about that soon. I just wanted to post a couple of links. This first one is an underground house that is already 25 years old. I wish the pictures were bigger, but it's a great article. The reason I am posting it is because we are *seriously* considering building an underground house ourselves, possibly partially out of cob if it will work well, so I was just looking for pictures of some on the internet.

This link is another underground house that is just absolutely beautiful!

When you build 2 feet below ground level (frost line), the temperature is the same year-round. In this area the temperature is somewhere in the low 60's, so it will be perfect! We would probably not need any air conditioning, and the only heat we would need could easily be attained through solar heating from sky lights or something. Then there is also the possibility of installing radiant floor heating. The floor would be heated by hot water, and heat rises, so the cost would be very low.

I like the idea of being almost completely hidden! It will provide much more privacy and will block out almost all sound. If planned well, an underground house can have plenty of natural lighting. (I'm sure just a couple of sky lights would be brighter than our current house....it's so dark in here!) There are just so many benefits, I'm just trying to figure out the *best* way to build underground....there are so many different methods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.