Friday, December 3, 2010

Out of context



Wow, there are so many verses taken out of context that this could be a theme for a blog in itself! Actually though, I just wanted to look at two verses that are, I believe, quite often taken out of context. And even with all I have learned in the last few years, I have always felt that these two are commonly misunderstood and misquoted.

The first is Romans 14:5 -
One indeed judges one day above another, another judges every day alike. Let each one be completely persuaded in his own mind.


The Jewish Christians were being rejected by the larger Gentile group in the church (see 14:1 and note) because the Jewish believers still felt constrained to observe dietary laws and sacred days (14:2-6). (from this page)


When read *in context*, this passage talks about faith, how some people have weak faith while others have strong faith. In context, this verse is also saying that we should not condemn those with weaker faith, God has accepted us all. This verse does not say that either belief is *okay* (one day or every day), it just says that each person should be fully convinced in his own mind.


What that means to me is that everyone needs to study out the issue(s), not just taking someone else's word on it. It reminds me of the lukewarm verse in Revelation 3:16, that we should be hot or cold, not lukewarm!


So the way I have always heard this interpreted is that whether you observe the Sabbath or not, it doesn't matter, that either way is fine......whatever tickles your fancy. I believe this is wrong when read in context. I have always felt this, but it has always been hard (and still is) to put into words. Will I condemn those who do not observe the Sabbath? No, that is not my intention. BUT, I will show others in the Scripture where it is commanded and why it is important, and that it is a blessing, not a burden! (We will save that for another post.)


While I was growing up, we never observed the Sabbath, at least no more than treating Sunday as a "more holy" day, so to speak, when we went to church at least twice that day and did less or no work, but Sunday is not the Sabbath. I always kind of believed (because I never studied it myself) that every day should be treated the same, basically, but I was never "fully convinced" either way. When I sought out to study this on my own and be convinced that every day was equal and resting one day a week and keeping that day holy was not really important, I actually became convinced that the opposite was true!


The next verse is Colossians 2:16 -
Let no one therefore judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths – 


I think it is obvious, when read in context, Paul was speaking to Jewish believers. With that knowledge, these verses are without doubt referring to food laws, the feasts of the LORD in Leviticus 23, the weekly and high Sabbaths, etc., especially when reading the next verse that says they are a shadow of things to come and the body is of the Messiah!



Now, I have often heard this verse grossly misquoted in reference to Christmas, Easter and Halloween! Those "holidays" are not specifically mentioned in the bible and were not celebrated as "Christian" days until the 4th century. They have pagan roots and still have many pagan aspects in the way we observe these days today. So when this verse is used *in context*, it is speaking only to those who decide to keep the LORD's holy days. It is not speaking of these other "Christian" days, which really are not biblical at all, and Jesus never celebrated them Himself.


Again, I will not condemn others for celebrating these "Christianized" pagan days, but I will continue to spread the truth as God leads me, as I understand more of His word myself!


And really, when it comes down to it, isn't it better to observe the biblical holy days instead of man-made pagan days? That is what they are! I can't see my family ever going back to those or celebrating both "sets" of holidays. When the Holy Spirit reveals His truth to you, it just isn't the same. Christmas was one of my favorite times of the year, but I can't look at it the same way anymore.


I myself have not even kept the Sabbath or feasts for very long now. I didn't grow up with much knowledge of them, and it is just not something my family did (baptists). As time goes by though, the Holy Spirit continues to reveal the truth of His word to me, and when you taste the truth, you cannot ignore it! You will want more!!! Sometimes I can come across as offensive or judgmental, but my intention is to just share what I have learned myself, and to get the information, the truth from the bible, into other people's hearts and minds. I rarely direct anything I say to any one individual, so I believe that when someone is "offended", it is likely the Holy Spirit convicting them, which is a GOOD thing! (People nowadays just do not recognize conviction because of pride. I can say this because I have been there, so I recognize it much quicker now.....usually!)

Okay, I'm not sure how well this came out. I do not claim to be a good writer or very articulate, and these have always been difficult for me to put into words, for some reason. I hope I made my point though, whether I am right or wrong, and if I am wrong in my own understanding, I pray that the Holy Spirit will reveal His truth to me! If my own understanding is correct, I pray that He alone gets the glory, and that He will use this to help others understand these verses better, IN CONTEXT.


Please leave a comment or two and let me know if you agree or disagree and whether or not this was helpful. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.