Thursday, June 9, 2016

Update on Snakebite Wound!


I'll tell ya right now, if you don't wanna see any photos of the really nasty wound, scroll down slowly so you'll know where to stop. I'll post a warning. lol

It's been a full week since Jonathan was bitten by a copperhead. I'm sad to say, it has gotten a little worse and there is a *small chance* he could still lose the end of his finger, but the surgeon is hopeful. He goes back sometime Monday for the surgery (they'll call me), and we'll find out for sure when it's done! The surgeon is supposed to just clean it out really well and cut out the dead part, then he'll probably go back -- I assume several times -- for some skin grafting. That's assuming his finger will remain 100% intact. The surgeon just doesn't know how deep it goes, so he can't really say for sure just yet.

Jonathan is still having some pain, mainly because he cannot swallow pills very easily, so he tends to just refuse them completely, but it's not too bad. At the worst times he rates it around a 3-4, so not any fun, but tolerable. My c-section pain was more than that before I took something (I HATED the hydrocodone, which is what he was prescribed as well), but guys are just wimps when it comes to pain, right? What's up with that?! Haha!

***WARNING -- NASTY PHOTOS BELOW***

Okay, picture time. Here is the progression of his bite wound. I got 1 or 2 pictures for each day so far. Hmmm....I'm not sure I got one for day 6, but I'm sure you can use your imagination!




Here you can see a blister forming below the dead part.
And here you can see where the surgeon broke the blister to get a better look!
He had left the wound open for a couple of days and said it was less painful when it dried out completely, but the nurse covered it again after the blister was open, of course. You can also see the profile of his finger in this picture and how the edge of his finger is now missing! EWWWW!!!!
That's it for now. I'll update again after his surgery. In the meantime, I hope he's learned his lesson and stays away from snakes! He's so tired of us asking him if he has a question (because he's always holding his hand up in the air), and is really annoyed with the doctors and nurses asking him if he was sure it was a copperhead. He's told them many times that it was a BROADBAND COPPERHEAD. Haha! Yep, he knows snakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.