Saturday, November 9, 2013

Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, THM Orange Cream Cookies!



These were a huge hit in my house today. Even my husband, who usually gets his carbs through drinks, pastas a breads and isn't really big on "sweets", thought these were pretty good and requested them again with chocolate chips. Ha! I would have made a second batch this evening, but I am almost out of almond flour. BOO!!!

These cookies hold together very well and have a nice texture. They fit into several categories; Paleo, Trim Healthy Mama (THM), gluten-free, dairy-free and Weston A. Price (WAP). Enjoy!

Orange Cream Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups almond meal
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 scoop of whey protein powder
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar (I used about 1/2 cup of birch xylitol and 2 squirts of SweetLeaf Stevia* extract, Vanila Crème flavor. These were VERY sweet, so if you like them less sweet, one squirt should be plenty!)
  • 2 tablespoons finely-grated orange rind
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • ½ cup whipping cream OR coconut milk
*If I didn't use Vanilla Crème Stevia, I would also add a tsp of vanilla extract

I also want to add a drop of Young Living orange essential oil next time. I was out today, but I just know it would be great! I will update this when I have a chance to add that in.

Directions:
  1. Mix dry ingredients. (If you want the smoothest texture possible, try sifting the almond flour. You may have larger pieces that will be too big to go through the sifter. I just put mine back in the container and only use the finest flour for a smoother texture.) 
  2. Mix wet ingredients.
  3. Mix together.
  4. Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper. (I rolled mine into balls a little smaller than golf ball size.)
  5. Gently press down with the back of a spoon.
  6. Bake at 325° for about 18 minutes.
  7. Let cool.
  8. Enjoy with or without your favorite milk. Pictured is the rest of the can of coconut milk used from the cookies. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respectfully share your own passionate thoughts.